Pages

Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Day 1: Inside Out Lasagna: Review


     Okay guys! I had a LOT of fun making this dish, but accidentally cheated... I substituted the make-it-yourself sauce for PC Organics Tomato and Basil sauce (because there was no basil to be found at my local grocery store), to which i added 3 more cloves of garlic (rather than the suggested 5) as well as 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes for an extra kick, which was a bad idea. I learned the hard way that if you have a premixed sauce, it's probably already delicious, don't mess with it. It was SO spicy I ended up chucking my concoction in lieu of a better tasting sauce, and the rest of the jar I had left over, just so that my mouth wouldn't burst into flames. 

     Outside of that little disaster... The hardest part I found was one; Timing. I didn't realize how long the ricotta would take (almost 40 mins!!!) and how short the pasta would be (done in under 10) I highly recommend making the Ricotta 1st, then making the sauce, as you heat and mix the sauce, THEN put the pasta on to boil, and then everything will be done around the same time. Secondly; reading the instructions, I found them kinda all over the place and hard to make out, so I did screw up a lot here and there, but everything still turned out fine, I got the thumbs up from my taste testers who gobbled down the entire thing and didn't leave any leftovers for today (even though I made a TON!) For a lower calorie food, it's absolutely going to be a new favourite of mine, I loved the taste, it's Just like lasagna but better for you, and not covered in chunks of cheese. 

I hope that helps you out, that you can enjoy this meal and will have better luck than I do with this task!

Good Luck!

- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment